- Nic F. Anderson
26 Trans People Died By Violence In America In 2019
Transgender Day of Remembrance is Nov. 20.
Just in the last four years, 132 trans people died due to violence in the United States. In the last 11 months, there has been 24 deaths of trans people due to violence; 21 of those deaths were trans people of color. These are just the known deaths.
Many governmental agencies used the victim’s dead names which can skew the total number of known deaths due to violence.
Between 2017 and 2018, approximately 74 percent of known trans people to have died due to violence between were misgendered and have their dead names used in media and police reports, according to the Human Rights Campaign (HRC). There were
HRC said, “These victims were killed by acquaintances, partners and strangers, some of whom have been arrested and charged, while others have yet to be identified. Some of these cases involve clear anti-transgender bias. In others, the victim’s transgender status may have put them at risk in other ways, such as forcing them into homelessness.”
The known trans deaths due to violence in 2019 are:
(1) Dana Martin, a 31-year-old trans woman of color, was found shot to death in her vehicle in a roadside ditch on Jan. 6 in Montgomery, Alabama. Open case.
(2) Ellie Marie Washtock, a 38-year-old bi-gender person, was found dead by their teenage son on Jan. 31 at their World Golf Village condominium in St. Augustine, Florida. Putnam County Sheriff's Office ruled their death a homicide. Open case.
(3) Jazzaline Ware, a trans woman of color, was found dead in her apartment on March 25 in Memphis, Tennessee. Initially thought to be a suicide, police currently regard the case as homicide for reasons not made public. Open case.
(4) Ashanti Carmon, a 27-year-old trans woman of color, was shot and killed on March 30 in Prince George's County, Maryland. Open case.
(5) Claire Legato, a 21-year-old trans woman of color, was shot in the head on April 15 following an argument between her mother and the suspect in Cleveland, Ohio. She was taken to a local hospital where she died from her injuries on May 14. Suspect was charged.